Friday, April 25, 2014

Against the Wind — Both Ways!

Okay, maybe that's not completely true. I was against the wind heading down river, expecting to get a nice boost in the other direction, which I did not! Phooey on you, wind! And phooey on you too, tide! Work against me, why don't you?



The wind was coming from the south. What was interesting is that I generated fairly good speed 3mph+ while paddling into the wind. I feel like that has partially to do with my board's slim vertical profile. It doesn't catch much, which is nice. The nose also cuts through the waves very nicely with a minimum of board slap.

Heading south means paddling around the Indian Point no-go zone. This is a line of buoys a smart person must not cross or you may find yourself boatless, permanently, and an overnight guest of Homeland Security. The problem is that it's also right next to the bat channel for the river, so you have to carefully paddle near it. I only saw one barge on this trip, but in the summer the river can be teaming with traffic. Of course, when the wind is blowing and there are two-foot swells, paddling near the zone is a bit more of a challenge.

I had my first fall this season. I just slipped off and went it feet-first into the fifty-degree water. I was not wearing a wetsuit jacket over my farmer john wetsuit, which I Regretted. I was probably a little underdressed for the paddle, and paid for that fall for about twenty minutes afterwards until the winds blew me drew. Next time I bring a jacket.

I stopped at a little beach in Verplank for a few minutes, had some water, slurped a gel, then headed north. It's nice that occasionally you can find these little places to stop instead of just sitting on a rock wall.


The river doesn't look so bad from here. Do not be deceived. It is fooling you.



That's a paddlewheel boat in the last picture.

Name:Track 018
Date:Apr 25, 2014 4:13 pm
Map:
(valid until Oct 22, 2014)
View on Map
Distance:5.92 miles
Elapsed Time:1:46:41
Avg Speed:3.3 mph
Max Speed:5.3 mph
Avg Pace:18' 01" per mile
Min Altitude:0 ft
Max Altitude:0 ft
Start Time:2014-04-25T20:13:30Z
Start Location:
Latitude:41º 17' 05" N
Longitude:73º 55' 56" W
End Location:
Latitude:41º 17' 05" N
Longitude:73º 55' 56" W

No comments:

Post a Comment