Friday, August 9, 2013

Didn't Make It

Disappointing, but I have to throw it all up to the weather. Kirsten dropped me off at Poughkeepsie at 8:30 and I set off. Good weather for paddling. There was that headwind I mentioned before, but that wasn't a big deal. Yeah, it was slowing me down a little, but not so badly.

Then, about three miles north of the Beacon-Newburg Bridge, the wind started getting worse. It went from 5 mph to 10-15 mph. I was hoping the wind would go down, but it just kept picking up. As I got near the bridge, I saw a storm south of me in the neck by Storm King. With the wind blowing SW, it looked bad. At the bridge I was barely making any distance, clawing for every foot. Then I knew it was time to throw in the towel.

I crept into the Beacon Long Dock launch and called Kirsten. I didn't feel that bad about it though. I had been defeated by weather, not my inability to do this course. I'm pretty sure I can do it someday, but yesterday was not it.

In terms of timing, Peekskill got hit with a violent thunderstorm around the time I expected to be pulling into the area. Maybe bagging it was a good thing?

Pictures and more followup soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment