Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Letter to Exocet

I'm sending this letter to Exocet. This was my friend JP's suggestion:


Hello Exocet,

I recently (this past May) purchased a brand new Exocet Marlin 14' from Progressive Board Sports in Daytona Beach, Florida. I live in Peekskill, NY and paddle on the Hudson River. I also blog at peekskillpaddler.blogspot.com.

I bought this board to be my every-day board. I really liked the design which seemed right for the touring-type paddling I do. I also have had great luck with Exocet boards. I own a Kona One windsurfer, which I love, and also an Exocet Cruiser 150. Unfortunately I have not had the same type of luck with this board.

To be blunt, it's fragile. I recently emerged from my last paddle with major damage to the bottom of my board which I never felt happen. There are five substantial holes on the bottom of my board, each one bad enough to require a repair. Now I understand that accidents happen, and you are not responsible for these, but this is a level of damage which is shocking. I have had impacts with my Kona (sailing from the same launch) and the board just absorbed it. I have run into rocks so hard on my NSP SUP that the board stopped short and I was thrown over the nose. That required a minor repair, far less than this mystery damage.

This board also sustained some damage during shipping. It was a smaller than the holes here, but enough to keep the board out of the water with a repair. I don't know how that happened either, but that's some evidence as well to the general fragility of this board. I would add that on your website, you say:

A real fish on the water, the MARLIN are quick boards for down winders or just the perfect board for cruising around. The board also features several extra inserts on the deck situated in the front and behind the riders standing point for the optional addition of a net for gear, cooler, or life jacket storage. Perfect for a day trip around islands or cruising along rivers!

My experience has been that this board is not suitable for river paddling and cannot take the rigors of this environment.

I'm a school teacher who loves standup paddling and blogging about it. I was hoping that the Marlin would be a great river board, but it doesn't have the durability. I'm not in a position to purchase new boards whenever my old one displeases me, and now I'm stuck with a board that doesn't work the way it is supposed to.  I'm hoping you can do something here to help me, because otherwise I have a big problem.

Sincerely,

Ian Berger

No comments:

Post a Comment